Monday, November 17, 2014

I Miss Manhattan Love Story!

First thing is first, who doesn't love a hilarious, happy married couple living with a socially awkward, yet lovable sidekick?

Not only did I love Manhattan Love Story, I recommended the show to my best friend the second I watched it! It was four episodes into it's short life, and I watched every one of those episodes in one Hulu binge session. Therefore my question is this - if the show was so great (which it really was) why was it cancelled?

Glad you asked.

I am blaming the shows early cancellation on how they promoted the poor show. In the promotional trailers for Manhattan Love Story they explain that it is all about what's in the character's heads, what Dana and Peter, the protagonists, are really thinking about. That was a great idea for the show! However, it's not the main selling point. This idea factors in only to aid the storytelling, but not to help the plot.

The audience really needed to see more about the character's personalities because that's what made us stick around. If the commercials would've shown more heart, and less love and embarrassment, I would have tuned in sooner. Not only that, I would have stuck around for more, and I believe others would have as well.

To quote the Flash's character Iris, "And she happens to come from your very rare species of adorable nerds." That is exactly why I started to fall in love with Manhattan Love Story. Dana was that adorable nerd that everybody was rooting for to win over the bad boy/jerk-ish guy Peter; who was clearly already falling hard over Dana's addicting personally. Not to mention Peter's hilarious family was in the mix. This included his half-brother David who was married to Dana's best friend Amy, which is why Dana and Peter were fixed up in the first place. Then there was Peter's sister Chloe who was rooting for Dana to make her half-brother experience the feelings he was so dreading. Dana's best friend Amy was the perfect mix of up-scale perfectionist and sisterly adviser.

Relatable Note: Dana's inability to work technology had me laughing out loud from start to finish!

The Verdict: This lovable show's downfall was due to - A very bad first date... 


...The audience obviously stood-up Manhattan Love Story :( 



Update: Hulu added the rest of the season for people to watch!


No comments:

Post a Comment