Monday, November 24, 2014

Magic of Sleepless In Seattle and You've Got Mail

Today, for the first time in my life, I watched Sleepless In Seattle followed by You've Got Mail which both star Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks. Needless to say both of these movies are absolutely brilliant.
It honestly made me want to go back and live in the 90s, and makes me proud that I remember what it was like to wait for AOL internet to work.



I wanted to watch You've Got Mail since one of my family's friends was talking about it at dinner one night, so I figured it was the perfect rebound movie after Sleepless In Seattle.

Probably everyone in history except for me and my best friend have seen the two films, but today was the day I finally curled up and watched them for myself. I eagerly waited to find them either charming or annoying. I found them amazing charming, and I really don't even remember why! That's what's so interesting - I can't pin-point anything that really should out about it, but I knew I loved it! It was -well it was like magic...



So all I can do is say a few words about love and technicalities.

Always, and I repeat, always - put Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan in a love story together.



 I am looking forward to see seeing them play an older couple one day, even if I have to write, produce, direct movie, and pay them myself- I have to see them make another movie together! I can't even picture City of Angles anymore.

Both the films I watched tonight were almost the same in the love department... The basic message -don't stop searching until you find the illusive "one" and you will know when you feel the supposed "magic" when you meet them. I couldn't help but realize that it was kind of true - at least for a hopeless romantic like me. You never stop searching for the one when you don't feel as if you've actually found that person. It hurts just as much when things don't work out with someone who doesn't fit the build, but we seem to keep hoping, even when it makes us feel like dying, love starved zombies.That's what made these movies so inciting. The characters are just as crazy, messed up, and goofy as the rest of us.

The whole time I was watching Sleepless In Seattle I was wondering would I or would I not go to New York to meet Sam on top of the Empire State Building if I were Annie? The second I thought I wouldn't was the second the story through in a twist I was not expecting. Except for the back-pack part, now that I saw coming. I do wish it had more of an ending.

With You've Got Mail, I found it all so believable. I freaked out when I saw mother and daughter dancing ghost style in the bookstore when it closed... it was a little too fantastical for the aesthetic of the film.

The only thing I found wrong with both of these movies were that they both had an establishing shot mid-scene at a restaurant. I hated that. Film students, never put the establishing shot in the middle of a restaurant scene! Please?... For me?

Good.

Relatable Notes: Hiding your crazy side with anyone except your best friend. (Sleepless In Seattle)
                             Sometimes your enemies can be your footstools. (You've Got Mail)

The Verdict:       These movies are classics because they are magic!

No comments:

Post a Comment