Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Girl Meets World - Humor and Heart

First thing is first - I love Girl Meets World.

I am in college, and I found this show laugh out loud funny! This is the first Disney story since Lizzie McGuire that has actually had a good story and life lesson in every episode. Even the good Good Luck Charlie has not matched the humor and heart of Girl Meets World.

No, this show is not the same as Boy Meets World. However, I think Girl Meets World captures the parts of Boy Meets World in all the right places. I believe that the first season has dynamically followed the first season of the original story-line despite an age difference, and the little things that mirror the old show cause it to translate to the next generation correctly. They have just enough flashbacks and character cameos and often enough to keep everyone interested if the old show is why they are watching.

What I love about this show is its innocence without ignorance. They have Maya, the main character's best friend, who is set to be the new Shawn Hunter. This girl is perfect in a broken way. Disney (and I am generalizing) has recently been portraying dumb girls in an extreme way, and showing that it is okay to know absolutely nothing and always have detention just because that is who you are if you are not smart like the main character. You watch other shows and know that they would have been held back in school multiple times or would have been dead from walking in front of a bus by this point in their lives. This show avoids cliches while still having them, and they walk the line beautifullyWhat is so beautiful about Maya's character in contrast to the characters in other shows is that she is actually striving to better herself, and states that she does not want to fail.

These characters want to learn, and I think that this show is what kids these days need in their lives. (It is almost like a live-action Hey Arnold show in which Riley is Arnold fixing everybody's problems. Think about it.... this show is a 90s dreams come true.)

Riley is a very relatable character for the good girl who just wants to help people. I don't know who I am, where I fit in, and I don't really have that one thing that I am good at. I find this show and its main character so inspirational and relatable. I am in college, and honestly I still find myself - just meeting the world. This show has actually inspired me to work harder and really find who I am, and I really love that Disney has brought those qualities back to their channel. You do not have to be brilliant or dumb to be a 'good' person. You can be average and still be good enough. Even though the show has your crazy, your smart, your artistic, and your good looking popular character. When I watch I feel like I can just be myself in the world, and it will be okay in the end.

Relatable Note: The characters act like real people.

The Verdict: Girl Meets World is a 90s dream come true....

                       Get over your anti-Disney pride and WATCH YOUR NEW FAVORITE SHOW!


No comments:

Post a Comment